The Department of Commerce offers comprehensive, contemporary and multi-disciplinary curriculum structured to equip the students with the knowledge, skills and tools needed to make them competitive in a global economic environment. It also offers B.Com (Vocational) course focusing on Marketing, Advertising and Salesmanship. Students are exposed to 'on the job' training session for hands on experience in addition to project work.The Programmes Offered by the Department are B.Com (Regular), B.Com (Vocational), M.Com, M.Phil. and PhD.
Department of Commerce has turned out thousands of graduates into the wider arena of the society and many of them occupy very high positions in many reputed domestic as well as international organizations. We also should mention about prominent entrepreneurs such as Ms. Chandrika Tandon CEO Associates, USA, were the products of our department and serve the society in their own field of interest.
Department is at present a Post Graduate and Research Department offering PhD degree for both full time and part time candidates and M.Phil degree on a full time basis. Since the granting of autonomy, the department of Commerce was entrusted with another challenging task of framing and updating our syllabus periodically in consultation with eminent academics and industrialists.
The department organizes workshops once in two years to update the syllabus. All faculties in the department are qualified as per UGC specification. International exposure gained by a few faculty members enabled the department to introduce papers of international standards. The ever-growing demand for Commerce subjects projects a seat-application ratio of 1:30. The department with experienced faculty could offer quality education. It has been ranked among the ‘ Top 10’ Commerce Departments at all India level according to the survey organized by ‘India Today’ in the year 2012 and ‘MalayalaManorama’, in 2006, 2007 & 2008. It produces more than 90% result every year.
The Department of Commerce emerged as a full-fledged Research Department in the year 2008 with the commissioning of M.Phil (Full-time) and PhD (Full-time). In addition to producing research scholars, the faculty members in the Department of Commerce are actively involved in publishing research articles in Books, International and National journals. Book on “Financial Accounting” was published by the faculty of our department. Minor Research projects sponsored by the UGC such as ‘Environment Degradation’ and “Problems of Marketing of Products produced by women self help groups in Chennai city - A study” is undertaken by the faculty of our department which is worth making note of.
The Department of Commerce has signed an MOU with ICICI Bank to offer banking course through E-Learning Module. World Class Business Education Program funded by Ms.Chandrika Tandon, a distinguished alumna of the department has brought in radical changes in the quality of education offered by the department. The faculty of our department has been Visiting Scholars abroad and also members in National/International organizations thereby making our department internationally/ nationally acclaimed.
- Qualified staff as per UGC specification Innovative Curriculum based on the employment requirements in multinational companies as subjects of international standards are introduced.
- Updated Curriculum based on suggestions and guidance from external members of Indian and foreign universities.
- Inter-disciplinary programs to make students aware of all fields Students exchange programme to academically excelling students.
- Faculty Development Programs for faculty conducted by leading industries and educational institutions.
- Seminars/workshops for students and faculty.
- Faculty encouraged to involve in research projects sponsored by the UGC and other agencies Producing research scholars in M.Phil.and Ph.D.
- Faculty involved as resource persons in International / National conferences / seminars Faculty involved as evaluators and examiners for awarding Ph.D. / M.Phil. degrees.
- Updated library with books/ journals – international / national.
- Use of upgraded technology in teaching methodology.
- Innovative teaching/ learning process through seminars/ projects/ field study.
- Internship training.
- Computer and internet access for students and teachers.
- Financial aid and scholarships and endowments granted to academically excelling students and economically weak students through Students Counseling Centre.
- Placement opportunities to students in to leading multinational companies in India.