Application for Hall (hostel) admission would be issued along with UG / PG / M.Phil / Ph.D admission.
The ‘first sod’ of Tambaram was cut on 5th January 1932, commencing the construction of the new campus. Incidentally, among the Halls, Selaiyur Hall buildings were the first completed in 1937.
St.Thomas’s hall was built in the year 1937, named after St.Thomas, the harbringer of Christianity into India. Initially, St. Thomas’s hall did not follow any constitution as such. In the early years, the hall was run under the leadership of the Warden and the General Secretary.
The beginnings of the Hall are different from those of the College. While the history of the College begins with the small school started at Egmore in 1835 that of Bishop Heber Hall could be traced back to a similar school started by Gr.Schwartz at Trichy in 1763.
It’s been fifty long years. And here we are today, celebrating sisterhood, joy and happiness as we still stand united as one big happy family. When 14 smart young women marched into Madras Christian College in 1939, little did they know that they would be paving the way for a great legacy. A legacy we know as Martin Hall today.
On 22nd July 2009, Margaret Hall, the youngest of the then five semi-autonomous units in Madras Christian College called ‘halls’, opened its doors for the first batch of young women residents. And there began the journey of the second hall on campus for women students.