Campus spread across 320 acres with a sprawling scrub jungle provides the essential ecosystem for field study and research. The campus has 33 Academic Departments, 105 Classrooms, 16 Seminar Halls, 73 Laboratories, Instrumentation Facilities, Central Library, modern Cafeteria, Lounge for women students, Centre for Media Studies, College Farm, Solar power plants, Rainwater harvesting system, International Guest House, sports facilities with Indoor Stadium, 6 Halls (hostels) of residence and residential quarters for staff and uninterrupted power supply.
The Halls of residence for men – Selaiyur, St Thomas’s and Bishop Heber; and the Halls of residence for women – Martin, Margaret and Barnes, contribute to the rich diversity and hustle-bustle of the campus life.
The ‘first sod’ of Tambaram was cut on 5th January 1932, commencing the construction of the new campus. Incidentally, among the Halls, Selaiyur Hall buildings were the first completed in 1937.
St.Thomas’s hall was built in the year 1937, named after St.Thomas, the harbringer of Christianity into India. Initially, St. Thomas’s hall did not follow any constitution as such. In the early years, the hall was run under the leadership of the Warden and the General Secretary.
The beginnings of the Hall are different from those of the College. While the history of the College begins with the small school started at Egmore in 1835 that of Bishop Heber Hall could be traced back to a similar school started by Gr.Schwartz at Trichy in 1763.
It’s been fifty long years. And here we are today, celebrating sisterhood, joy and happiness as we still stand united as one big happy family. When 14 smart young women marched into Madras Christian College in 1939, little did they know that they would be paving the way for a great legacy. A legacy we know as Martin Hall today.
On 22nd July 2009, Margaret Hall, the youngest of the then five semi-autonomous units in Madras Christian College called ‘halls’, opened its doors for the first batch of young women residents. And there began the journey of the second hall on campus for women students.
The year 2016 marked yet another significant milestone in the history of Madras Christian College with the inauguration of Barnes Hall the third women’s hall on campus, on 20th June 2016. The hall owes its name to Prof. Edward Barnes and his spouse Mrs. Alice Barnes, whose contribution to the green architecture of the college is immeasurable. Over the years, the hall has carved a niche for offering at once a nurturing and stimulating space for vivacious young women.