Year of establishment: 1927
History of the Department:
The Department of Chemistry was pioneered under the headship of Prof. Edward Barnes (1919-41), who also served as the architect of the college campus. Under the dynamic leadership of his successors, chiefly Dr.S.V.Ananthakrishnan (1942-66) a distinguished Ph.D holder under the supervision of a famous British chemist Dr. C.K. Ingold, F.R.S, University College, London. The Department was recognized as a center for excellence in “Research Kinetics” in India. By the virtue of construction of an indigenous high-precision heterodynebeat instrument, the Department became the first centre in India to take up fundamental work in Dipole moments. Further under the leadership of Dr.I.M.Mathai (1966-84), who also had the privilege to be the first lecturer to complete his doctoral research at Madras Christian College, the department further grew and made a mark in scholarship in both India and abroad. Dr.R.Gopalan (1984-2002) took over as the Head of the department in the year 1984 and under his unique ability of being a teacher cum researcher, the identity of the department got further refined. He was known for his scientific writing and has authored over 20 text books in chemistry in association with the faculty members of the department.
Dr.V.J. Philip (2002-05) succeeded as the Head of the department who eventually became the Principal of Madras Christian College in the year 2005. With the extensive support and encouragement from him, the department applied for the major funding from the DST-FIST in the year 2004, through the effort of Dr. P. Wilson drafting the proposal on behalf of the department. Consequently, the department was recognised as a DST-FIST sponsored department in the year 2005 and received Rs 32,00,000 as a grant to develop the infrastructure for teaching and research. The department further flourished under the leadership of Dr.R.Wilfred Sugumar (2005-2013) in the area of service learning using water chemistry as a tool. Dr.R.Joel Karunakaran (2013-2015) took over as the Head of the department in the year 2013 and facilitated the academic development. As a result, the UG laboratory of the department witnessed a transformation from the traditional to LPG based Gas plant under the joint funding from DBT and the college management. Subsequently, Dr. P. Wilson assumed the office as the Head of the Department since 2015. The year 2016 witnessed major refurbishment of UG and PG leading to the establishment of advanced and state of the art laboratories gifted by the benevolence of Mrs Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi. Consequently the UG and PG laboratories were inaugurated by Mrs Indra Krishnamurthy Nooyi on 12th September 2016.
State of the Art Laboratory Facility
The UG, PG and Allied laboratories have been modernized with state of the art research facility. The laboratories have been furnished with the state of the art infrastructural facility conforming to international standards. The epoxy resin topped island tables, four spot extractors per island table, Fire extinguishers, adequate number of fume hoods for working with corrosive and toxic chemicals, LED lights and eye shower. In addition, PG laboratory is equipped with anti-vibration tables for the placing digital balances. Highest priority is for laboratory safety. A sincere effort is underway to redesign the practical curriculum for both UG and PG courses conforming to green chemistry standards.
- S. V. Anantakrishnan endowment academic lectures were organised with Dr. Sivasami, ANJA college , Sivakasi as resource person on ESR and Mossbauer spectroscopy on 22nd and 23rd of September 2017.
- Mahesh Pattabiraman, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, from University of Nebraska, Kearney delivered lecture on Tuning selectivity in cavitand- mediated [2+2] photocycloaddition on 17th July 2017.
- A Special Lecture on “Green Chemistry and Catalysis for sustainability” by Selvam Head, National Centre for Catalysis research and Professor IIT Madras on July 14th 2017.
- Gemini Ganesan Endowment Lecture was conducted in collaboration with the Department of Philosophy featuring Sumiio iijima, inventor of the Carbon Nanotubes delivering lecture entitled “How Did I Discover the Carbon Nanotubes” on 10th March 2017.
- A Special Lecture on “Fuel Cells” by Rajesh Bashyam, Sr.Research Scientist, Ballard Power Systems on Dec 30th 2016.
- A Special Lecture on “Solar Cells” by Sakthivel, ARC, Hyderabad in October 2016
- Two day lecture series on “Term symbols in Inorganic chemistry” by Sivasami, ANJA college , Sivakasi during 22nd and 23rd of September 2016
- A two day INSA Lecture Workshop on “Chemistry – Current Focus” was organized by our department during 26th and 27th of August 2016.
- R. Gopalan Endowment Lecture on “Fundamentals in Stereochemistry” by Prof. P.S. Kalsi, Prof of Eminence, School of Chemistry, Shoolini Univ. of Biotechnology on Aug 18th 2016
- R. Gopalan Endowment Lecture on “The Future of Chemistry” by Dr. Swaminathan Sivaram, Former Director of NCL Pune, CSIR Bhatnagar Fellow, Polymers and Advanced Materials Laboratory, NCL, Pune on 2nd Feb 2016.
- S.V. AnantaKrishnan Endowment Lecture on “Chemistry of Noble Metal Clusters” was delivered by Dr. T. Pradeep, Professor, Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology-Madras on 28th August 2015.
- A Special Lecture on “Behavorial Imperatives to Enhance Innovation in Industrial R & D” was delivered by Laxmi Narashiman, General Manager and the Deputy Director of Centre for Novel Catalytic Materials, Shell Technology Centre, Bangalore delivered on 10th July 2015.
- A Special lecture on “Role of Catalysis for the Production of Biofuels and Chemicals” was delivered by Thallada Bhaskar, Senior Scientist & Head, Biomass Thermocatalytic Processes Area, Bio-Fuels Division (BFD), CSIR-Indian Institute of Petroleum, Dehradun on 24th June 2015.
Awards/ recognitions received at the national and international level by
- E. Rajkumar was awarded with Fast Track Young Scientist award (2013) from Department of Science and Technology – Science and Engineering Research Board (DST-SERB)
- P. Wilson, Mr. E. Iyyappan, Mrs. Nimmy Edwin, Mrs. C. Amirthavalli, Mrs. T. JabaPriya, Dr. T. Mary Vergheese, Mrs. R. Kavitha, Dr. D. Reuben Jonathan, Dr. E. Rajkumar, Mr. G. GnanamaniSimiyon, Dr. Ebenezer Samuel, Dr. RakhiYadav are Life member of “Association of Chemistry Teachers” Homi Bhabh Centre for Science Education, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, India.
- P. Wilson, Mr. E. Iyyappan, Mrs. Nimmy Edwin, Mrs. C. Amirthavalli, Dr. D. Reuben Jonathan, Dr. R. Vijay Solomon, Dr. E. Rajkumar are the Life member in Green Chemistry Association India
During the period 2013-17
- Around 25 students have participated in various internship/summer training programs offered by premier institutions through national funding agencies like IITM, INSA, TIFR, STIPAC, UGC-Networking Center fellowship…. in our country.
- Students participated in national level quiz competitions held at different institutions in the state.
- Eight students have qualified the national level competitive examination such as CSIR-NET, GATE, TET, UGC exams etc.,
- Many PG students have joined Ph.D. program in India as well as abroad.
Seminars /Conferences/ Workshops organized (during 2013 – 2017) and the source of funding (national / international)
Name of Seminar/Conference/Workshop organized
Month & Year
Lecture workshop – Chemistry Current Focus
Indian Science Academies’
Fire Safety – Mock Drill
Inter-Departmental workshop on “Evaluation of Anti-Bacterial effects of various antibiotics” was conducted by the Department of Chemistry in association with Department of Microbiology, MCC for III B.Sc. students of Chemistry
“Basics of Nanoscience” for School students
(an interdisciplinary subject)
Initiatives on basic science education by Ministry of Science and Technology
Faculty members and their research specialization
Name of the Faculty
Area of Research
Dr. P. Wilson
Bionanomaterials, sensor materials, Photo catalytic materials
Mrs Nimmy Edwin
Mrs Shyamala Lionel
Mrs T.Jaba Priya
Dr T. Mary Vargheese
Mrs R. Kavitha
Dr. D. Reuben Jonathan
Synthetic Organic Chemistry and Natural Products
Dr. R. Vijay Solomon
Theoretical & Computational Chemistry
Dr E. Rajkumar
Biomimetic-Biosensors & PhotoChemistry
Mr G. Gnanamani Simiyon
Metal Oxides & Chemical Education
Dr Rakhi Yadav
Organic & Natural Products
Dr M.Aulice Scibioh
Electrochemistry & Fuel Cells
Dr T. Adinaveen
Energy & Environment
Dr Sivabalan Sakthivel
Dr. Anne Paul
Nanotechnology, Biomaterials & Corrosion
Ms. Stesho Crystalline
Major and Minor Research Projects (Since 2012)
- P. Wilson, Head, Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College, has been granted a major research grant of Rs. 27.89Lakh from DST-SERB for the project entitled “Hydroxyapatite TiO2 nanotubes nanocomposite by electrochemical means towards CO2 sensing applications” The duration of the project is 2016 to 2019.
- DST-SERB Major research project entitled “Ruthenium based dendrimers and their patterns in metalloprotein sensing” has been sanction (DST-SERB SB/FT/CS-155/2013 dated 08/09/2014) to Dr. E. Rajkumar, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College. The duration and the sanctioned amount are 3years (2014-2017) and 19.96 Lakhs respectively.
- UGC Minor research project entitled “Synthesis and Characterization of nanoscale Hydroxyapatite particles using triton X-100 via hydrothermal/ultrasonication assisted routes” has been granted (No.F MRP-5594/15 dated Jan 2015 ) to Mr. E. Iyyappan, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, Madras Christian College. The duration and the sanctioned amount are 2years (2015 to 2017) and 2.7Lakhs respectively.
- C. Amirthavalli, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, MCC, received a minor research grant of Rs. 1.85Lakhs (year 2012 to 2014) for the project entiled “Micelle assisted synthesis of Ni-Zn ferrites: investigation of Magnetic property”
- T. Jaba Priya, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry, MCC, received a minor research grant of Rs. 1.25 Lakhs ( year 2013 to 2014; No. F MRP-4164/12 dated Feb 2012) for the project entiled “ Host Guest behaviour of Cucurbituril towards Metal ions, Benzamide and Bipyridyl”
E. Iyyappan R. Vijay Solomon E. Rajkumar