The founding of Madras Christian College dates back to the year 1837, when Rev. John Anderson started a School, in Armenian Street. Dr. William Miller, who arrived in 1862, developed the school into a College, and became its first Principal. His commitment and dedication contributed enormously to the development of the college as one of the premier institutions today.
Dr. William Miller died in 1923, and his close and trusted colleague and secretary Rao Sahib O. Kandasamy wrote a two-part biography of Miller in the College Magazine, which was enlarged and published by the CLS, Madras the following year. This official biography of Miller, in turn, inspired Dr. Y. Gnanachandra Johnson, Associate Professor of Tamil to bring about a Tamil translation. Dr. Johnson awith the help of six of his colleagues and friends translated the book into Tamil, which brings Dr. Miller, his achievements and struggles alive to the readers. The book also contains some rare photos of Miller, his colleagues, the college in Geore Town.
This book entitled "Miller ennum Mamanither" is a publication of Madras Christian College. It was released on 7 January 2012 by Dr. Besant C. Raj, the Chairperson of the MCC Association and the first copy was received by Very Rev. Canon Ivor Smith-Cameron, the former chaplain to the Queen of England.
The copies of the book are availble for sale at the Alumni & Public Relatios Office of Madras Christian College for ` 200.00 (Rupees two hundred).