M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D
Dr. D. Narasimhan joined the Madras Christian College as a student at the Department of Botany in the year 1976 and completed graduation in the year 1980 and post graduation in 1982. He continued his studies and obtained his M.Phil degree from University of Madras in 1984 with a specialization in Plant Taxonomy. Subsequently he explored the Flora of Chengalpattu District and obtained Ph. D from University of Madras in 1991 with a specialization in Taxonomy, Ethnobotany and Medicinal plants. He Joined the Madras Christian College as a faculty member in 1996 and since then teaching Systematic Botany, Ethnobotany, Biodiversity and Traditional Medicine for U.G. and P.G. students. Dr. Narasimhan is a Resource Person in the fields of Taxonomy, Medicinal Plants, Ethnobotany and Environment and delivered lectures in Universities, Colleges and for Voluntary Organizations. He is also actively involved in interacting with Environmental Organizations and Organizations Working with Communities.
- Carried out five projects as Principal-Investigator and Co-Investigator funded by various agencies such as Foundation for Revitalization of Local Health Traditions (FRLHT), Ministry of Environment and Forests and Shastri-Indo Canadian Institute.
- Currently working on a project on ‘Mapping and Population studies of selected Endemic Trees of Southern Western Ghats' funded by University Grants Commission.
- Doing research on the Flora of Tropical Dry Evergreen Forests and Southern Western Ghats as well as Medicinal Plant Markets of Tamil Nadu and Ethnobotany of Eastern Ghats of Tamil Nadu for the past 20 years.
- Guided seven M. Phil and three Ph. D. candidates.
- Published 25 papers in refereed journals
- Contributed articles in Books
- Co- Edited a Symposium Volume titled "Plant Diversity, Human Welfare and Conservation"
- Dr. R. Kalyanasundaram Memorial Prize, for guiding a Ph.D thesis that has been adjudged as the Best Thesis in Botany submitted to the University of Madras in 2006.
- Developed a database on angiosperms of Tamil Nadu for the Department of Environment, Government of Tamil Nadu hosted on the Web.
- Member, Committee appointed by Honorable High Court to look into cutting of trees for construction of grade separators and widening roads.
- Member, Advisory panel for the Adayar Poonga Trust formed by the Government of Tamil Nadu for restoration of Adyar Creek.
- Member, Advisory committee for the ENVIS node on Conservation of Ecological Heritage and Sacred Sites.
- Honorary Secretary, Centre for Plants, People and Ecosystems, Chennai, a non profit organization.