Bishop Heber Hall

  • PDF

sl-2

The beginnings of the Hall are different from those of the College. While the history of the College begins with the small school started at Egmore in 1835 that of Bishop Heber Hall could be traced back to a similar school started by Gr.Schwartz at Trichy in 1763. The school at Trichy grew and became a college in 1878. It was named Bishop Heber College after Reginald Heber (1783-1826) the hymn writer and Bishop of Calcutta. In 1932 this college was closed and merged with the Madras Christian College.

The teachers and students who shifted to Madras formed the Bishop Heber Hostel at Vepery. After a short stay at Vepery and later at Royapettah, the hostel finally moved out with the rest of Madras Christian College to Tambaram in 1937.

The beautiful Chapel, the Hall library and the Hall Coat of Arms are reminders of the transformation of the college at Trichy to the Bishop Heber Hall at Tambaram.

Bishop Heber Hall

Resident's Account Details 

You are here: Bishop Heber Hall