M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D
Teaching & Research
Dr. W. Lawrence S. Prabhakar is currently Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Madras Christian College, Chennai, India. Dr. Prabhakar was awarded the Doctor of Philosophy Degree for his thesis “Strategic Thought in India Since 1971” from the Department of Defence and Strategic Studies, University of Madras, Chennai, India.
He specializes in academic and policy research on the following areas: Nuclear Missile issues in Southern Asia; on Maritime Security issues in the Indian Ocean and the Asia-Pacific Region, Grand Strategy of China and on research in India-United States Strategic Relations; Grand Strategy of India. His primary interest on Nuclear weapons has featured in his projects with the Henry Stimson Center, Washington DC USA; Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington DC USA and with the Institut de Relations Internationales et Stratégiques, Paris, France.
Christian Apologetics and Eschatology
- Associate Member: Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi.
- Associate Member: International Studies Association, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- “India’s Expanded Maritime Mandala: Naval Intent and Strategy in Southeast Asia” International Workshop India-ASEAN Defence Relations, S.Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 30 November 2012.
- “China’s Quest for Maritime Resources and Dominance of Global Commons” The Rise of China: Policies, Parameters and Prospects International Conference on China, Institute of Contemporary Chinese Studies, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam 1-3 November 2012.
- “The Impact and Imperatives of a Nuclear Iran”, International Working Group “Iran in Global and Regional Perspective” Strategic Studies Network, Near East and South Asia Center for Strategic Studies, National Defense University, Washington DC Annual Plenary Meeting “Strategic Studies Summit: Forward Thinking, Bangkok, Thailand, November 5-8 2012.
- "India’s Approach to Collective Security and Stabilization Measures in the South China Sea" in the International Conference on “ASEAN and 10th Anniversary of the Declaration of Code of Conduct” in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on March 22, 2012.
- “Russia’s Military-Technical Revolution and its strategic surge” in International Seminar “Two Decades of Re-emerging Russia: Challenges and Prospects” Centre for Central Eurasian Studies, University of Mumbai 6-7 March 2012.
- "Rising Powers and Asia’s Stability: Strategic Convergence between India and South Korea" at 10th India-Korea Dialogue India-Korea CEPA: Prospects and Challenges, Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, New Delhi, India and the Seoul Forum for International Affairs, Seoul, South Korea 8-9, November 2011 Hilton, Chennai.
- "Issues and Positions on the South China Sea: An Indian Perspective", at the International Conference on the South China Sea, Track-II Forum co-organized by the Carlos P.Romulo Foundation & Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, Manila, Philippines 16-17 October 2011.
- "Maritime Security and Energy Flows in the Indian Ocean Region", at the International Working Group on Energy Security, Near East South Asia Center, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA in Ankara, Turkey 13-15 July 2011.
- Book project meeting at the S.Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University Singapore 1 June to 3 June 2011.
- International Conference on "The Prospects of Cooperation and Convergence on the Issues and Dynamics in South China Sea" co-organized by the Centre for Asian Strategic Studies, New Delhi & The Habibie Centre & Centre for National Security Studies, Indonesian Institute of Strategic Studies, Jakarta 30-31 May 2011.
- “Theory-Policy Contexts of Maritime Security in Asia-Pacific” in International Seminar on Maritime Safety and Security in the Asia Pacific, Co-organized by Centre for Asian Studies, Chennai, India Public Affairs Section, US Consulate General for South India & American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, Washington DC, USA in Chennai, India 9 May 2011.
- "India's Nuclear Energy Debate" International Working Group Meeting of the Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres in Near East and South Asia on Energy Security, Muscat,Oman 11-12 April 2011.
- Co-Chair, International Working Group on Weapons of Mass Destruction and Border Security, Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres, Near East South Asia Centre, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA meeting, 21-24 April, 2010 in Rabat, Morocco.
- Plenary Speaker, "The Galle Dialogue 2010", Sri Lanka Ministry of Defence and Sri Lanka Navy, Galle, Sri Lanka, 5-6 August, 2010. Presentation on "India’s Maritime Issues, Concerns and Challenges in the Indian Ocean Region".
- Chair, International Working Group on Weapons of Mass Destruction and Border Security, Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres, Near East South Asia Centre, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA meeting 10-14 November 2010. Presenatation on "Nuclear Futures and Nuclear Renaissance: Issues and Challenges in Nonproliferation in Near East and South Asia".
- "India’s Strategic Culture: Tradition and Norms" in National Seminar on Nonalignment 2.0, Department of Civics and Politics, University of Mumbai and Indian Council for Social Science Research Western Region, Mumbai 21-22 January 2013.
- “Developments of Maritime Infrastructure in Regional States” National Seminar on Maritime Developments to India’s East, National Maritime Foundation, New Delhi & Eastern Naval Command, Indian Navy, Visakhapatnam 8 October 2012.
- “Nuclear Proliferation Challenges and the role of asymmetric conflicts in South Asia” UGC-Nehru Studies Centre, Department of Political Science, University of Kerala, Trivandrum, National Conference on Conflict and Peace in South Asia: Nehru and Beyond 2-3 March 2012.
- “India’s Strategic Culture and Praxis: Issues and Implications in Power Rise National Seminar on India as an Emerging Major Power: Foreign Policy Thrust Areas, VPM Centre for International Studies & Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi—Mumbai, 28 January 2012.
- “Democracy, Governance and Security: The Indian Context” UGC National Seminar on Democracy and Civil Society in India, Centre for Gandhian Studies, Alphonsa College, Pala, Kottayam 7-8 February 2012.
- “China’s Shore-Sea-Space horizon: Quest and Dominance of the Global Commons" National Seminar on China’s Emerging Security Profile: Challenges and Opportunities sponsored by the Association of Asia Scholars and Dept of International Relations, Jadavpur University 19-20 December 2011.
- "China’s Naval Modernisation and Its Implications for India" in the National Seminar on "India-China Relations: Prospects for Synergy Building in the Twenty First Century" co-organised by Manipal Centre for Asian Studies, Manipal University along with the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata conference organised in Manipal, 2-3 December 2011.
- "China’s Maritime Strategy and its relevance to the Northeast and the Bay of Bengal Region" National Seminar on "China as a Strategic Challenge" co-organizsed by HQ-Eastern Air Command, IAF & Centre for Airpower Studies, New Delhi at Eastern Air Command Headquarters, Indian Air Force, Shillong 28 November 2011.
- "India's Approach to Anti-Piracy Missions in the Indian Ocean Region and FutureProspects," June 2011 (Cambridge, MA, USA: Long Term Strategy Group).
- “The Evolving Matrices of India-China Naval Competition” in Binoda Kumar Mishra and Sanjay Pulipaka (eds.) (2012) India and her Neighbourhoods, New Delhi, Knowledge Word.
- "India’s Proaction and Responses to the Emerging Security Architecture in East Asia", AREA STUDIES Journal - A Journal of International Studies and Analyses Vol.4, No.2, July-December 2011, pp.70-96.
- "Can the Indian Ocean be a Zone of Peace?" in Harjeet Singh (2010) South Asia Defence and Strategic Year Book 2010 (New Delhi: Pentagon Press) ISBN: 818274444X; 9788182744448 pp37-47.
- "Issues and Challenges in India’s Grand Strategy" in the New Century Indian Journal of Politics and International Relations ISSN 0973-5011 (Refereed Journal) Vol. 2 No.1 January-June 2009 (Published in June 2009) pp151-173.
- "China’s ‘String of Pearls’ in Southern Asia-Indian Ocean: Implications for India and Taiwan" Ch.3 in M.J.Vinod, Yeong-kuang Ger, S.Y.Surendra Kumar (2009) Security Challenges in the Asia-Pacific Region: The Taiwan Factor (New Delhi: Viva Books International) pp39-60.
- "Maritime Security Triangulation of ASEAN-Australia-India: An Indian Perspective" in William Tow & Chin Kin Wah (2009) ASEAN-India-Australia: Towards Closer Engagement in a New Asia (Singapore: Institute of Southeast Studies Press) Published in September 2009 pp 219-242 (ISBN: 978-981-230-963-1).
- "Global Nonproliferation Dynamics: An Indian Perspective” in Derek Mitchell &Tersita Schaffer (2009) Bridging Strategic Asia: The Rise of India in East Asia and the Implications for the U.S.-Japan Alliance, Washington D.C Center for Strategic and International Studies, CSIS Press Winter 2008.
- China’s Strategic Culture and Current International Dynamics: Perspective from India in V.P.Malik & Jorge Schultz (2008) The Rise of China: Perspectives from Asia and Europe (New Delhi: Pentagon Press).
Strategic Analysis in Defence Technical Journals
- “India’s Options and role in the PSI: Alliance of Necessity Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) February 2010
- “Singapore Navy: Fulcrum to Southeast Asian Naval Power” Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) December 2009
- “Challenges for India’ “Blue Water Navy” aspirations: In depth Vision Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) November 2009
- “Securing Frontiers: India's maritime intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) initiatives” Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) September 2009
- “Armada Adventures: NCW capabilities of navies in the Indian Ocean” Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) August 2009
- “Pearl’s New Crescent Future role and capabilities of Pakistan Navy” Strategic Affairs (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) August 2009
- “A small beginning: India’s Aerospace Command” ” Strategic Affairs New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) July 2009
- "Garlanding the Pearl: Hambantota: China’s maritime gambit and India’s Response, Strategic Affairs" (New Delhi: Centre for Asian Strategic Studies) May 2009
- "Adhocism Prevails: Imperatives in India’s Security Paradigm Strategic Affairs "(New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) March 2009
- "New Challenges: Land Attack Cruise Missiles in South Asia Strategic Affairs" (New Delhi: Centre for Asian Strategic Studies) March 2009
- "Nuclear Submarine Option and overcoming Nerpa Tragedy: Miles to Go” Strategic Affairs" (New Delhi: Centre of Asian Strategic Studies) January 2009
- Maritime Security in the Indian Ocean Region: Critical Issues of Debate (New Delhi:Tata-McGraw Hill 2008).
- The Maritime Balance of Power in the Asia-Pacific: Maritime Doctrines and Nuclear Weapons At Sea (Singapore: World Scientific Publications, August 2006).
Online Publications and Engagements
- Columns in INTERNATIONAL E-ZINE OPINION ASIA-SINGAPORE
- Skilful or Fiendish: Chinese Checkers in Vienna
- The Emergent India-China Competition: Benign Intent or Aggressive Design?
- Interview to International Online Journal “The Diplomat” TOKYO, JAPAN An Interview with Lawrence Prabhakar on “Indo-US ties and China's growing maritime presence in the Indian Ocean”.
- Coauthor in Book Project on Maritime Security in South China Sea consultations in S.Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore May 2011, October 2011.
- International Conference on the South China Sea, Track-II Forum co-organized by the Carlos P.Romulo Foundation & Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore, Manila, Philippines 16-17 October 2011.
- International Working Group on Energy Security, Near East South Asia Center, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA in Ankara, Turkey 13-15 July 2011.
- International Conference on "The Prospects of Cooperation and Convergence on the Issues and Dynamics in South China Sea" co-organized by the Centre for Asian Strategic Studies, New Delhi & The Habibie Centre & Centre for National Security Studies, Indonesian Institute of Strategic Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia 30-31 May 2011.
- International Working Group Meeting of the Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres in Near East and South Asia on Energy Security, Muscat,Oman 11-12 April 2011.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, India.
- Founding Member, Centre for Security Analysis, (An Independent Non-profit Policy Think Tank) Chennai, India.
- Co-chair of the International Working Group on “Weapons of Mass Destruction and Border Security”, Regional Network of Strategic Studies Centres, Near East and South Asia, National Defense University, Washington DC, USA.
- Visiting Professor, Department of Geopolitics, Manipal University, Manipal and Member of the Constituting Committee and Board of Research and Studies of the department Manipal University, Manipal, India.
- Adjunct Senior Fellow, Centre for Asian Strategic Studies, New Delhi, India.
- Media Commentator on Asia-Pacific Strategic Issues, BBC World Service, London, UK.
- Adjunct Professor-- taught and researched in the China Studies Centre, Department of Humanities & Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, July 2011-November 2011--“China in Contemporary International Relations” Graduate Course for B.Tech and MA Students.
- Special Adjunct Lectures in International Studies, China, Nuclear Proliferation Issues--School of Social Sciences, Christ University, Bangalore February 2012.
- BBC World Service, London, UK for the Asia-Pacific Strategic Issues Radio Commentaries on China, North Korea and geopolitics and geo-security issues of the Asia-Pacific; (Since 2003 onwards and recent commentaries made in December 2011).
- PhD External Examiner and Viva Voce Examiner, Centre for East Asian Studies & Centre for International Politics, Organization and Disarmament School of International Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi; February 2012.
- Peer Journal Article Reviewer for Journal of Indian Ocean Region, Asian Ethnicity, Taylor & Francis, London, UK & International Journal of South Asian Studies, Department of Politics and International Studies, Pondicherry Central University, Puducherry, India; (March 2011 onwards).
Lectures and Talks
- “China and Globalization: Challenges and Prospects in the International System” Lecture to the Semester in India Visiting Team from Elmhurst College, Elmhurst Illinois, USA, 09 January 2012.
- “A Tour D` Horizon of India's ‘Grand Strategy’ in the Coming Decade” Lecture to the Semester in India, Visiting Team from Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, USA, 03 November 2011.
- “India in Contemporary World Affairs” Lecture to the Semester in India, Visiting Team from Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, USA 19 September 2011.
- UGC Special Lecture on “Conflict and Cooperation in South Asia: A Case of India-Pakistan-China Triangle" UNESCO Madanjeet Singh Institute of South Asian Regional Cooperation (UMISARC) & Southern Asia Studies Programme, Pondicherry University, Puducherry 2 September 2011.
- Resource Person UGC Academic Staff College, University of Madras, Lectures on India in World Affairs 2 lectures to the College & University teachers Orientation Course 6 May 2011.
Research and Consultancy
Consultant for several projects by the Net Assessment Directorate, Chiefs of Staff Committee Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India with principal authorship in the following projects:
- “The Role of the Dragon: Strategic Role and Posture of China in the India-Pakistan Conflict Spectrum” in the Simulation-cum-Scenario Development Exercise: India-Pakistan Conflict Spectrum Under the Nuclear Backdrop at the Army War College, Mhow Feb 2003.
- “Extra-regional Naval Presence and Posture: Implications for the Indian Navy” in the Project Regional Maritime Balance in Indian Ocean 2020.
- Escalation Dynamics Based on Nuclear Doctrines and Force Postures in Southern Asia (March 2004).
- Academic Research: Fulbright Fellowship Center for Political Studies; Institute of Social Research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA; (June-August 1996).
- Policy Research: The Henry L. Stimson Center, Washington DC & Center for Naval Analysis, Alexandria, Virginia, USA (May2001-August 2001).
- Academic Research: Institute of Defence and Strategic Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore August 2004- February 2005.
- Teaching and Research S.Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore March2007-June 2007).
- Project on Maritime Security in the Indian Ocean International Symposium On The Changing Oceanic Landscape in the Indian Ocean Region: Issues and Perspectives of Debate Project Commissioned by Centre for Security Analysis, Chennai & Sponsored by Hanns Seidel Stiftung, Munich Germany, Chennai 13-15 December 2006.
- “Competitive and Cooperative Maritime Dynamics in the Asia-Pacific: A Study of US, Japanese, Chinese and Indian Maritime Doctrines and Strategies” Maritime Security Programme, Institute of Defence & Strategic Studies (IDSS), Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798 (August 2004- February 2005).
- The Draft Indian Nuclear Doctrine: Perspectives of Regional and Global Nuclear Powers, Visiting Fellow, The Henry L.Stimson Center, Washington DC USA May-August 2001.
- Indian Security Perspectives of the PLA Navy in South Asia Center for Naval Analyses, Alexandria, Virginia USA & The Chinese Council of Advanced Policy Studies, Taipei June 2001.
- Role of Regional Research Institutions in South Asian Security Regional Center for Strategic Studies Colombo Sri Lanka. March 2000.
- Federal Publicity in Religion and Society in USA and India 1988, Resource Person in the Project Dr. William Johnson Everett, Director, Candler School of Theology, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.