The Department of Zoology was established in 1885 and is one of the oldest centers of higher education in Southern India. Areas of specialization include Animal Behaviour, Aquaculture, Endocrinology, Entomology and Fisheries Science. Innovative subjects such as Bio-technology, Molecular Biology, Immunology and Biochemistry are offered both at Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. Number of sophisticated instruments are available in the laboratory. The Estuarine Biological Laboratory at Pulicat is a reserch centre of the department.
B.Sc. Zoology or Bachelor of Science in Zoology is an undergraduate Zoology course. Zoology is the branch of biology which relates to the animal kingdom, including the structure, embryology, evolution, classification, habits, and distribution of all animals, both living and extinct. Bachelor of Science in Zoology is three years duration course and the syllabus is divided into six semesters.
- They have a lot of higher study options available in a variety of specializations and with that qualification they can get into any of the reputed organizations offering a work profile that suits their ability.
- Other activities are such as paid work, volunteering, family responsibilities, sport, membership of societies, leadership roles, etc. So here are also good scopes for them.
- Graduates of Bachelor of Science programs in Zoology tend to work for medical laboratories, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, museums, wildlife rehabilitation centres, hatcheries, agricultural departments, environmental agencies and colleges and universities. Because Zoology is such a broad field, the types of jobs Zoology can do are numerous.
- Zoologists are often known by the branch of Zoology they specialize in. For example, those who study the origins, life processes and behaviour of birds are known as Ornithologists.
- Those who study the origins, life processes and behaviour of reptiles and amphibians are known as Herpetologists.
- Other job titles include zookeeper, animal caretaker, veterinary technologist and technician, environmental consultant, technical writer, biology teacher and research and laboratory technician.
B.Sc. Industrial Fish and Fisheries – Zoology (Vocational)
In this course, you will learn about fresh water aquaculture, inland aquaculture, industrial fisheries, fish nutrition, fish processing and post harvest technology, environment, pathology, extension and ecology. The syllabus contains practical experience on fishing vessels or sea cruise for fishing and data collection on aqua farms and in processing plants.
- For young aspirants, science is one of the promising and rewarding career. There are many career opportunities in this field.
- After passing out candidates can opt for teaching as a professor or a lecturer in degree colleges or universities.
- Skilled professionals in Industrial Fish and Fisheries can seek employment in areas such as food industry, bioinformatics, pharmaceutical industry, biotechnology, water conservation and in research institutes.
- Industrial fish and fisheries graduates can get jobs as a field officer or managers in agriculture loan section, both in nationalized as well as private banks.
- As an entrepreneur, after obtaining a degree in industrial fish and fisheries, candidates can start their own enterprise. NABARD and other nationalized banks lend financial support to those candidates who want to start their own enterprise. The main areas on which fisheries enterprise can be developed are feed sales, feed manufacturing, hatchery and seed production, aquaculture, ornamental fish culture and breeding, commercial pearl production, net making, fish processing and marketing, consultancy services, fish disease diagnostic centre and establishment of agri clinics.
- Candidates can work as an officer or a manger in aqua feed plants, seafood processing and export units, pharmaceutical companies and in fishing industries. There is a great demand of skilled manpower in the areas of fish farm and hatcheries.
M.Sc. Zoology or Master of Science in Zoology is a postgraduate Zoology course which relates to the animal kingdom, including the structure, embryology, evolution, classification, habits, and distribution of all animals, both living and extinct. The duration of M.Sc. in Zoology is of two academic years. The syllabus for the course is divided into four semesters and it is career orienting in nature.
- Candidates after completing the course can enter any field of biological and biomedical research.
- They can become researchers, teachers and can be trained in any fields of biology within a short duration. If their past learning outcome in excellent they are fit for doing any job in biomedical field.
- They have also job scopes in the media or the environmental and ecosystem management sector.
- They have scope of career in environmental consulting firms in private sector.
The M.Phil. degree is a one year full-time course of research, culminating in the submission of a thesis and viva voce examination. There are three taught components to this course and students do attend appropriate lectures and courses with up to date knowledge in Recent advances in Zoology, Research Methodology and an preferable choice of optional paper.
The students would reach a high level of achievement in writing, research or project activities, problem-solving and communications.
Critical and creative thinking, with an aptitude for continued self-directed learning and would be able to examine critically, synthesize and evaluate knowledge across a broad range of modern Zoology.
They can also design and carry out a research project.
- Students after having passed M.Phil. Zoology may start off their careers as professors or lecturers in universities or colleges or they may also join any research work in this field.
- They can work in zoos and museums as administrators or managers, educators and curators.
- After having passed the degree they can work as a biological technician-as for data collection, taking care of animals and habitat management of the animals.
- Other area is the Wildlife conservation agencies recruit them as Wildlife Conservationists where their major responsibility is to conserve the extinct species of wildlife and animals.
|Samuel Tennyson||Adline Jennefa Daniel|