Designation: HEAD, Department of Social Work
Official Address: Department of Social Work
Madras Christian College
Tambaram – Chennai 600 059
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Submitted Ph.D to the University of Madras on 5th August 2016 (Area of research –‘Gender Factors in Mental Heath’) – Awaiting Viva Voce Examination.
- 1985 - 1987: Masters in Social Work, with specialization in Medical & Psychiatric Social Work. Area of research “Stress & Scholastic Achievement”, Stella Maris College, Chennai, Madras University Rank Holder
- 1982 - 1985: Bachelors (B.A.) in Sociology – Stella Maris College, Chennai
- 1980 - 1982: Higher Secondary School Leaving Certificate, Vidyodaya School, Chennai
- 1980: SSLC, Vidyodaya School, Chennai
COURSES TAUGHT IN MCC
- Generalist Social Work Practice
- Social Work Research
- Mental Health & Social Work
- Psychiatric Social Work
- Gender and Society
Courses Taught Earlier:
- Social Case Work
- Sociology & Study of Indian Society
- Psychiatric Disorder
- Basic Elements of Counselling
1993 - till date: Head – Department of Social Work, Madras Christian College
- Introduced innovative subjects in curriculum.
- Redesigned curriculum into credit based system.
- Initiated a number of International Collaborations.
- Chairperson, Board of Studies in Social Work & Board of Examiners.
- Member, Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras
- Member, Board of Studies & Selection Committees of other institutions/ Universities.
- Member, Board of Examiners in other institutions / Universities.
- Consultant, Resource person & trainer in Gender, Women’s Empowerment, Mental Health and Research.
- Designed & established the ‘Centre for International Social Work’.
- Responsible for introducing ‘Service-Learning Program’ in the restructured credit based curriculum for under graduate degree, Madras Christian College.
- Organized annual national & international conferences at the college level.
- Incorporated Human Right Perspective into the Social Work education at Madras Christian College.
- Member, Curriculum Development Committee, Madras Christian College (2003-04, 2008-09)
- Member & presented a Paper on Extension & Outreach Activities to the NAAC committee for accreditation of MCC, 2003
- Committee Member, Starting Community College in Oxfam School Premise, MCC, July 2010
- Coordinator, Internal Quality Assurance Cell, MCC – From June 2010 to May 2013
- Convener – Students Counseling Centre – Madras Christian College – 2008 till date.
- Member, OXFAM MCC Community College Committee – till date
- Member, MCC Family Life Institute, Mappedu, till date
- Committee Member, preparation for the Autonomy Review of MCC, January 2011
- Member, Governing Body, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Senatus, MCC – 2008 -2010
Dean of Humanities - Madras Christian College – Academic years 2008 – 2010
- Officiated as Professor-in-Charge - 1st May 2010 to 22nd May 2010.
- Coordinator, UGC sponsored workshop on Research Grant Writing held on 30th March 2010
- Member, Governing Body, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Senatus, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Appointments Committee, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Curriculum Development Committee, MCC - 2008 -2010
- Member, Disciplinary Committee, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Admission Committee, MCC – 2008 -2010
- Member, Nomination Committee, MCC – 2010
- Member, Committee for the Modernization of Miller Memorial Library and installation of LAN, 2008
- Member, M.Phil Revision Committee, 2008
1989 (October) – 1993 Lecturer - Department of Social Work, Madras Christian College
- Have been teaching Psychiatric Social Work, Social Case Work, Counseling and Gender.
- Supervising fieldwork & research guidance.
Other Work Experience:
1987 – 1989 Intake Counselor TTK Hospital – Addiction Treatment Centre – Chennai
1987 - Worked as Lecturer – Department of Nutrition & Home Science, Women’s
Christian College- Chennai. (Two months.)
SPECIAL AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Development of curriculum under CBCS
- Curriculum development in social work
- Developed a curriculum in Integrated Social Work Practice
- International Social Work
- Developing service-learning academic programs
- Consultant/ wide experience in developing international exchange programs
- Gender training programme for various NGO’s/GOs
- Resource person and consultant for government and NGO’s
- Mental Health Training Programme for different groups.
- Preparing accreditation reports for NAAC
- Consultant and training in quality enhancement in higher education.
FACULTY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES ATTENDED:
- Orientation Programme, Academic Staff College, University of Madras (Sponsored by UGC) from 6.3.1996 to 2.4.1996
- UGC Sponsored Need Based Refresher Course on ‘Research Methodology for Historical and Social Studies’ organized by the Academic Staff College, University of Madras, held from 27.01.2004 to 16.02.2004 and obtained Grade A
- Workshop on the Application of Qualitative Research Methodology to Social Work, at Stella Maris College, from August 5th – 8th 2004
- Selected for the FIP under the X plan period to pursue doctoral research during the year June, 2005-2007
- UGC Sponsored Refresher Course in Social Sciences, Batch-I on ‘Recent Trends in Social Work Practice’, organized by the Academic Staff College, University of Madras, held from 02.03.2005 to 22.03.2005 and obtained Grade A
- Workshop on Mental Trauma Care organized by Saxion University and Mediant Mental Health Centre, Netherlands in collaboration with the Department of Social Work, MCC, 16 – 20 January 2006
- Workshop on Analysis in Qualitative Research held at Stella Maris College, Chennai, from 18 – 22 April 2006
- Introductory Course on Research Methodology in Women’s Studies, organized by the Uttara Devi Resource Centre for Gender & Development at MSSRF, Chennai, 20 -24 November 2006
- Training programme on Research Ethics, conducted by Tagore Dental College & Hospital in association with Sri Ramachandra University, Chennai, 4th March 2015
- ‘Disintegration in the Family System Leads to Psychological Problems in Children’, at a one-day seminar held at G.R.D. School of Social Work, Dr. G. R. Damodaran College of Science, Coimbatore, 26th September, 2003
- ‘Service-Learning Component in the Curriculum’, at the International Conference on Teaching of Economics, organized by the Department of Economics, Madras Christian College, Chennai, 29 – 30 January 2004.
- Delivered the First Endowment Lecture on ‘The Role of Schools in Transforming Society’, in Memory of Rt. Rev. Dr. G. Rajakumar, the Founder of St. John’s Educational Trust, Chennai, 25th April 2013
- ‘The Rationale for ACFF Chapter in India’, at the First Asian Christian Faculty Fellowship (ACFF), India Chapter workshop on the theme: ‘Education of the Heart: The Heart of Higher Education in Asia’, held at Isabella Thoburn College, Lucknow, India, 23rd – 25th October 2003
- ‘Field Work Model of MCC’, at a Two-Day UGC sponsored National Level Workshop for Social Work Educators on Field Work Practicum, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 26 – 27 March 2008
- ‘Theoretical Understanding & Relevance of Service-Learning in Higher Education in the context of Globalised Scenario’ at the UBCHEA sponsored National Seminar on Initiating Service-Learning in Higher Education, Union Christian College, Aluva, Kerala, 16 & 17 January 2009,
- ‘Is Transgender my Neighbour?’ and Group Leader on ‘Can Christian Institutions promote Sexual Minorities Issues in the Curricula?’ and Co-chair for a National Consultation on ‘Sexuality and Faith – A Faith-Based Perspective Consultation’, organized by the Centre for the Church and Global AIDS, USA & Concern for AIDS Research and Education Foundation, India, at Asha Nivas, Chennai, 12-13 November, 2009.
- ‘The role of domestic technology in the globalizing society: Its impact on marriage and family relationships”, International Conference on Families Facing Globalization: Building Stable Marriage, Nurturing Families & Caring Communities, to mark the launch of 10th Anniversary of the UN International Year of the Family, SERFAC, Chennai, 4 - 9 November 2003
- Samuel, Miriam; & Solomon, Prince (2006): Building Community Strengths to Address Barriers to Health and Well Being, at the International conference on “Strength Based Strategies - Resilience as opposed to deficits: working with strengths - 2006”, organized by the Brisbane Institute of Strengths Based Practice & Sanghamitra, India, held at Hyderabad from 10 -12 November 2006
- ‘Cross-cultural Service-learning: A Process of Conscientization in the Global Era’, at the Asia-Pacific Conference on Service-Learning held at Lingnan University, Hong Kong from 31 May – 1 June 2007
- ‘Social Reconstruction Post-Tsunami: From a Gender Perspective’, organized by the School of Social Policy & Planning and the HAWKE Institute, University of Australia, Adelaide, June 2007
- ‘Mainstreaming Gender Issues into Social Work’ & Chaired a Panel on Case Studies in the workshop on Women and Social Work in Asia, organized by United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia (UBCHEA) & Co-hosted by Fujian Nan Women’s College & College of Sociology and History, Fujian Normal University in Fuzhou, P.R. China, 16 – 18 December 2007
- Key Note Address in the 2nd Conference on Emerging Social Issues, organized by Chang Jung Christian University, Tainan, Taiwan, 21 November 2008
- Key Note address and presented a paper on ‘International Social Work: Trends & Challenges’ in the one-day International seminar on ‘International Social Work’ organized by the Centre for International Social Work, MCC, 6 January 2009
- Key note address, ‘ Making a Difference: The Role of Canadians in International Development’, Regional Event organized by the Canadian Association for Studying International Development at Thompson Rivers University, Canada, 4 March 2009
- Key Note Speaker and presented a paper on ‘Millennium Development Goals-From a Gender Lens’ at the Global Learning Symposium, organized by Kamloops Women’s Resource Group society, BC council for International cooperation, The Centre for International Social Work, MCC with Dr. Julie Drolet of Thompson Rivers University, Canada, 19th November 2009
- Participated and presented a paper as co-author on ‘Culture, Gender, and Violence: Challenging the Connections’, at the 2010 Joint World Conference on Social Work & Social Development: The Agenda, held in Hong Kong, China, 10th – 14th June 2010
- Co-authored a paper on Continuities and Discontinuities in Community: the aftermath of the tsunami reconstruction in coastal villages, Tamil Nadu, India; that was presented at the 2010 Joint World conference on Social Work & Social Development: The Agenda, held in Hong Kong, China, 10th – 14th June 2010
- Co-authored and poster presentation of a paper on Mentoring Social Work Students in International Field Placements: Some excerpts/experiences; at the 2010 Joint World conference On Social Work & Social Development: The Agenda, held in Hong Kong, China 10th – 14th June 2010
- Key Note Speaker and presented a paper on ‘Environment and Health Service-Learning in Developing Countries with a Population Pressure: The case of India’, at the International Conference on ‘Environment and Health – Integrating Research, Community Outreach & Service-Learning’ organized by Soegijapranata Catholic University, Semerang, Indonesia, 22nd – 23rd May 2013
- 3 papers on (i) Miriam Samuel & Nadimidoddi Leela Sharon, The agrarian crisis, with special reference to Bt cotton, on small farmers in Warangal District, Andhra Pradesh, India – A gender analysis; (ii) Sympsosium on Rebuilding lives post-tsunami: An international reserch partnership and (iii) Julie Drolet & Miriam Samuel, ‘Melq’ilwiyq’ – Coming together to center indigenous field education within policy and pratices from the local to the flobal, at the Joint World Conference on Social Work, Education and Social Development, Melbourne, Australia, jointly organized by IAASW, IFSW & ICSW, 9th – 12th July 2014
PARTICIPATION IN CONFERENCES/ PROGRAMMES:
- The First International Conference on Asian Christian Faculty Fellowship (ACFF) organized by the Asian Christian Higher Education Institute of UBCHEA, held at Payap University, Chang Mai, Thailand, 21 – 24 November 2002
- International Conference on Service-Learning organized by IPSL, at Chang Mai, Thailand, 2004
- Post-Tsunami International Health Meeting, Planning and Dissemination Activity, 9th – 16th June, 2010, Hong Kong, China.
- National Workshop on HIV/AIDS for Teachers in Christian College, organized by MCC in collaboration with the Centre for Church and Global AIDS, USA, at MCC, Chennai, 3 – 5 November 2006
- Workshop on Gender Concerns in Food Security organized by the M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai, from February 26-27, 2007.
- Participated in a workshop on ‘Building Partnerships between US and Indian Higher Education Institutions’, organized by the United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF), New Delhi, 7 – 8 February 2009
- Workshop on Creating Green Campuses – A Comprehensive Approach, organized by Madras Christian College & USIEF, Chennai, 20 February 2010
- Drolet, J., Samuel, M., Larson, G., Tesoriero, F. and Ginsberg, L. (January 2010). International social work and disasters: Our unique and important contribution to disaster relief work and research. Perspectives, 32(1), Vancouver: BC Association of Social Workers.
- Drolet, J., Larson, G., Samuel, M., Tesoriero, F. and Ginsberg, L. (2012). Case 3.4: Ethical issues in international social work research: a case from India. In Sarah Banks & Kirsten Nohr (Eds.)’sPractising social work ethics around the world: Cases and commentaries. Abingdon, Oxon and New York: Routledge.
- Drolet, J., Larson, G., Samuel, M., and Ginsberg, L. (2012) Social Work and Disasters: learning from Diverse Community Narratives in Post-tsunami Villages in Tamil Nadu, South India; In International Social Development Social Work Experiences and Perspectives, Edited by Julie Drolet and Tuula Heinonen, Fernwood Publishing, ISBN: 9781552665244
- Drolet, J., Samuel, M. & Larson, G. (2012). The Impacts of Natural Disasters in Diverse Communities: Lessons from Tamil Nadu, South India, in The International Journal of Diversity in Organisations, Communities & Nations, Volume 11(6), 95-107, http://www.Diversity-Journal.com, Illinious, USA; Common Ground Publishing LLC; ISSN: 1447-9532
- Co-Author, Special Issue Article on ‘Community-based control of Aedes aegypti by adoption of eco-health methods in Chennai City, India’ (2012), Pathogens and Global Health, Vol. 106, No. 8
- Clark, N., Reid, M., Drolet, J., Pierce, J., Charles, G., Vedan, R., Samuel, M., Mathew, N., Walton, P., Burke, S., & Arnouse, M. (2012). Indigenous social work field education: “Melq’ilwiye” Coming together towards reconciliation.Native Social Work, Volume 8, 105-128.
- Larson, G., Drolet, J., Samuel, M. (2013, June 5). The role of self-help groups in post-tsunami rehabilitation. International Social Work, doi: 10.1177/0020872813477880, Impact Factor:600, PrintISSN: 0020-8728; Online ISSN: 1461-7234 (The online version of this article can be found at:
- Research article: Samuel, Miriam & B. Prince Solomon Devadass, Resilience of Women Survivors of the Tsunami 2004 in South India, European Scientific Journal, Vol. 9, No. 26, September 2013, ISSN: 1857-7431 (Online), ISSN: 1857-7881 (Print).
- Research report: Venkatesan Chakrapani, Miriam Samuel, Murali Shunmugam & Murugesan Sivasubramanian. (2013).Modelling the Impact of Stigma on Depression and Sexual Risk Behaviours of Men who have Sex with Men and Hijras/Transgender women in India: Implications for HIV and Sexual Health Programmes. Retrieved from http://www.c-sharp.in/research_policy/Download/Stigma_Study_2013.pdf
- Miriam Samuel, Book Chapter on ‘Discrimination and Violence: A Violation of Human Rights & Dignity’, in the book An Introduction to Peace and Conflict Studies in Colleges (2015), Ed by Kalapati, Joshua; Ross, M.M. & Ross, C.S.E.; Delhi: Indian Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge (ISPCK) and Chennai: Institute for Advanced Christian Studies (IACS)/The Centre for Peace Studies (CPS), MCC; ISBN: 978-81-8465-489-9
- Research article: Venkatesan Chakrapani, V., Peter A Newman, Murali Shunmugam, Carmen H Logie, Miriam Samuel. (2015). Syndemics of depression, alcohol use and victimization, and their association with HIV-related sexual risk among men who have sex with men (MSM) and transgender women in India; Global Public Health. doi: 10.1080/17441692.2015.1091024
- Drolet, J, Alston, M., Dominelli, L., Ersing, R. Mathbor, G., Samuel, M., & Wu, H., Women rebuilding lives post-disaster: Innovative community practices for building resilience and promoting sustainable development, Gender & Development, 2015, November.
- Miriam Samuel & Dr. Raja Samuel, Paper on ‘Looking at Mental Health from a Gender Lens’, in the International Journal of Management and Social Science Research Review Vol. 1:24, ISSN – 2349-6738, Impact Factor 3.996, June 2016.
- Miriam Samuel, Book Chapter ‘ Towards Livelihood Security Through the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural: Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA): An Initiative of the Government of India,’, in the book, Social Development and Social Work Perspective on Social Protection, edited by Julie L. Drolet, by Routledge Publishers, (ISBN: 978-1-13-878039-20, 2016.
- Venkatesan Chakrapani, Pandara Purayil Vijin, Carmen H. Logie, Peter A. Newman, Murali Shunmugam, Murugesan Sivasubramanian & Miriam Samuel (2017): Assessment of a “Transgender Identity Stigma” scale among trans women in India: Findings from exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses, International Journal of Transgenderism. To link to this article: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15532739.2017.1303417
- Consultant, ICMR research project on Dengue control in Chennai, funded by W.H.O (2003)
- Social Scientist for the First phase of the W.H.O funded project on Community Participation in Dengue Control in collaboration with Indian Council for Medical Research, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India, 2006-08
- Participated in Proposal Development Workshop organized by W.H.O on Eco-Bio-Social Research on Dengue in Asia, Bangkok, Thailand, 9-12 May 2006
- Attended a workshop on Research Methodology in Women’s’ Studies organized by the Uttara Devi Resource Center for Gender & Development, MSSRF, Chennai, India, from November 20-24, 2006
- Participated as co-investigator in a WHO funded project on Dengue Prevention in a Community of Practice Workshop held at Bangkok, Thailand from 11 to 15 June, 2007
- Co-Investigator in the Collaborative Research on Healthy District Project, with University of South Australia & Flinders University, South Australia, 2007-2008
- Co-investigator of the Post-Tsunami project, ‘Building Lives Post-Tsunami: The Social, Economic & Gender Implications’, in collaboration with Thompson Rivers University, Canada, 2007-2008
- Co-investigator for the Second phase of the W.H.O funded project on Community Participation in Dengue Control in collaboration with Indian Council for Medical Research, Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India (2009 completed)
- Co-investigator, Decolonizing Field Education: Melq’ilwiye Coming Together A Canadian and International Comparison (with Natalie Clarke, Thompson Rivers University, Canada as Principal Investigator); funded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), 2011 - 2013
- Co-investigator, ICMR, Delhi, funded project on ‘Modeling the Impact of Stigma on Depression and Sexual Risk Behaviours of Men who have Sex with Men (MSM) and Hijras/Transgender women in India: Implications for HIV and Sexual Health Programs’, (with Principal Investigator (PI) – Dr. Venkatesan Chakrapani and The Humsafar Trust, Mumbai.), 2011-2013
- Co-investigator, ‘Rebuilding Lives Post-Disaster: Innovative Community Practices for Sustainable Development’, (A multi-country project with Julie Drolet, Thompson Rivers University, Canada as Principal Investigator); funded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Partnership Development Grant, 2012-2015 (Extension to March 2016).
- Principal Investigator, Grant of Rs. 2,80,000/- sanctioned by Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India to undertake research study on “A study on Entrepreneurial Challenges among the youth: with special reference to Kanchipuram and Thiruvallur Districts of Tamil Nadu”. (F.No. RG/527/2016-ACD-24. Dt. 22.08.2016).
RESOURCE PERSON/SPECIAL INVITEE:
- Resource person, training program on Stress Management for the employees of Hindustan Lever Ltd, organized by Help Age India, May 2000
- Resource Person and gave a talk on ‘Social, Economic & Cultural Changes Affecting Families’ in the Workshop on ‘Advocacy to strengthen families in the new millennium” organized by Sahodari Project-Family Counseling Centre, YWCA on 31 January 2002
- Gender sensitization programme for Police personnel of Chengai East for two years - 2002 – 2003
- Training in gender issues for women framers attending programme at SPIC, RDC – From 2003 Till 2009.
- Talk on ‘Child Sexual Abuse’ for parents, organized by YWCA of Madras, 28 July 2004
- Resource person, seminar on ‘Responding to Realities – Professional Social Work with a Difference’, Institute for Research & Rehabilitation of Hand & Department of Plastic Surgery, Stanley Medical College & Government Stanley Hospital, Chennai, 25 January 2005
- Panelist at the Conference on ‘Forced Labour – An Illusion or Reality’, organized by the International Justice Mission, Chennai in collaboration with the Department of Social Work, MCC, 12 December 2005
- Resource person, Mothers Programme of the Rural Development Project of YWCA, Chennai, 30 January 2006
- Chief Guest, International Women’s Day, Rural Development Project of YWCA, Chennai, 13 March 2006
- Chief Guest, Annual Day, Scared Heart Matriculation School, Chennai, 24 March 2006
- Special Invitee, Workshop on Restructuring and Updating of Syllabi of Occupational Courses, (Funded by UBCHEA), MCC School of Continuing Education, 25 March 2006
- Key Note address on ‘Community Based Research for Sustainable Development’ organized by Academy for Disaster Management, Education, Planning & Training, Chennai, 27 March 2006
- Resource person, 11 Annual Day of Navjyothi Seva Samithi, Chennai, 22 July 2006
- Talk on ‘Importance of Women’s Education’, YWCA Urban Community Development Project, 12 September 2006
- Key Note Address on ‘Trends in Social Work Practice in the Third Millennium’ at the Department of Social Work, Voorhees College, Vellore, 2007
- Moderator, Seminar on Social Equity: Theory-Practice Paradigm, organized by the Department of Social Work, Loyola College, Chennai, 17 March 2007
- Special Invitee, Curriculum Development and Research Programme in Disaster Management, Centre for Ocean and Coastal Studies, University of Madras, 26 July 2007
- Resource person, Contemplation Day, Women’s Christian College, Chennai, 5 March 2008
- Resource person, Women’s Day Celebration, St. Peter’s Engineering College, Avadi, Chennai, March 2008
- Resource person, Domestic Violence Awareness Training for the Freedom Training programme for released bonded laborers, organized by International Justice Mission, Chennai, from 2009 – 2010.
- Resource person on Gender Issues at the NSS Special Camp, held at Family Life Institute, Mappedu Village, Kancheepuram District from 5 – 11 October 2009
- Resource person on the topic ‘Gender Inequality and Health’ at a seminar on Gender Discrimination and Health on the occasion of Human Rights day, organized by MMM College of Health Sciences, 11 December 2009
- Moderator for the session on Framing field Work Objectives – Specialization and Semester-wise in the One-Day Seminar on ‘Field Work Programme in Social Work Education’ organized by The Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras on 21st January 2010
- Group Convener, ‘Creating Green Campuses; A Comprehensive Approach’ , organized by United States – India Educational foundation (USIEF), Chennai & Madras Christian College on 20th February, 2010
- Chairperson, Conference on ‘Emerging Spaces: Empowering or Disabling Women?’, organized by the College Union Society, MCC & ‘WE CAN’, Chennai, 9 April 2010
- Chief Guest, Annual Proficiency and Award giving function, Peniel Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Chennai, 3rd July 2010
- Resource person, seminar of Girl Child Campaign, organized by the Diaconal Ministry, CSI Synod, Chennai, 27 August 2010
- Chief Guest, 8th Belt Ceremony and Demonstration of Skills, CSI Ewarts Women’s Christian College, Melrosapuram, Kancheepuram Dt., 7 October 2010.
- Panelist in Panel Discussion on ‘Why Does Bonded Labour Still Exist?’, held at, Alliance Française Madras, By International Justice Mission on Friday 10th December 2010.
- Chief Guest to deliver the inaugural address on Christian Leadership in Literacy for the inaugural function of the 38th All India Adult Literacy Project Officer’s Orientation Seminar, at LIT Bhavan, # 67, Beracah Road, Kilpauk, Chennai, 03 February 2011.
- Special talk on ‘Functioning of IQAC in MCC’, for staff of Meenakshi College of Women, Chennai, 26th March 2013
- Member, Mock Interview expert panel, Shankar IAS Academy, 5th April 2014
- Resource person and facilitator, Community disability Facilitator(CDF) - Foundation course - TOT training, organized by the Tamil Nadu State Rural Livelihood Mission, Tamil Nadu Corporation for Development of Women, Chennai, Tamil Nadu – from August 2014
- Resource person, orientation programme for I year undergraduate commerce students of MCC (Self-Financed Steam), 14, 16, 21 July 2015
- Guest speaker, Independence Day Celebrations, Bethel Higher Secondary School, Velacherry, Chennai, 15th August 2015
- Key Note Speaker on ‘Youth and Peace Building’, at the Founder’s Day Programme, Chennai & Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD), Sriperumbudur, 20th August 2015
- Chief Guest & Inaugural Address on ‘Psychiatry & Social Work’, Association Inaugural, Department of Psychology, St. Thomas College of Arts & Science, Koyambedu, Chennai, 18th August 2015.
- Guest and Resource person, Certificate Award Ceremony, Restless Development & CISW-MCC, Munger, Bihar, 21st August 2015
- Chief Guest and special address, Teachers Day celebrations for teachers from schools in and around Tambaram, organized by SOS Children’s Villages India - Chatnath Homes, Tambaram, Chennai, 4th September 2015.
- Chief Guest, Teachers Day Celebration, Jawahar Vidyalaya Senior Secondary School, Chennai, 14th September 2015.
- Key Resource Person and address on ‘Leadership in the Making – A Social Focus’, @-day Leadership Summit 2015 for School Student Leaders, organized by St. Johns Public School, Chennai, 14th November 2015.
- Chairperson, Seminar on ‘Inclusion & Social Justice Education’, organized by Madras Christian College in Collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, 19th February 2016.
- Member, Discussion Workshop on Development of Gender Equity Inquiry Tool, as part of the Church of South India-SEVA initiated Gender Equity Enabling Timetable (GEET) programme, 23rd June 2016.
- Meeting of the Pre-Scientific Advisory Committee of National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT) - ICMR, to review 30 research proposals, 7th & 8th October 2016
- Chief Guest to deliver Motivational Lecture at the Academic Excellence Award Function, Sri Sai Ram Institute of Technology, Chennai, 16th November 2016.
- Speaker, Christmas Programme, Nambikkai Illam, Sriperumbudur, 5th December 2016.
- Lecture on ‘Contribution of Social Work Profession in Promotion of Social Harmony’, at the training programme on Youth Participation for Social Harmony through Social Legislation, organized by Madras School of Social Work in collaboration with Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, 18th February 2017.
- Resource person, Peace Education: Social and Gender Perspectives, at the workshop on Importance of Peace Education for Contemporary Times, organized by The Centre for Peace Studies, MCC in collaboration with United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia (UBCHEA), 8th July 2017.
- Meeting of the Pre-Scientific Advisory Committee of National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT) - ICMR, to review 30 research proposals, 6th & 7th July 2017.
- Chair: Session on Mission & Vision of a Christian College at the National Workshop on HIV/AIDS for Teachers in Christian College, organized by MCC in collaboration with the Centre for Church and Global AIDS, USA, MCC, Chennai, 3 – 5 November 2006
- Chairperson, Organizing Committee, ‘National Consultation on HIV/AIDS: the Response of Christian Colleges’, Madras Christian College, Chennai, 16 & 17 October, 2007
- Member, Organizing Committee & Chairperson, session on Impact of Globalization on the Marginalized, at the National Seminar on ‘Current Trends in Social Science & Youth Related Researchers – A National Perspective’, organized by Loyola Institute of Social Science Training & Research (LISSTAR), Chennai & Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD), Sriperumbudur, 7 & 8 March 2008
- Chairperson, session on Socio-economic Evaluation of Coastal Communities: A Special Reference to Women, at the National Symposium on Current Trends in Marine Science & Technology, organized by the Department of Marine Studies and Coastal Resource Management & Department of Zoology, MCC, Chennai, 22nd to 24th January 2009
- Speaker on the topic ‘The Interactive Role of Educators and Parents in Building Communal Harmony and National Integration’, seminar on ‘The Role of the Family in Building Communal Harmony and National Integration’ organized by Service and Research Institute on Family and Children (SERFAC), with the National Foundation for Communal Harmony and National Integration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India, 2nd October 2010.
- Key Note speaker at the North Eastern Regional Workshop on ‘Environment Service-Learning, Biodiversity Conservation and Ecotourism, organized by United Board Heber Partnership for Environment Action at St. Antony’s College, Shillong, Meghalaya, 21 to 23 November 2012
- Resource person and facilitator, National Workshop on Qualitative Research, organized by School of Public Health, PG Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh, 8 – 12 April 2013
- Chief Guest & Key Note Speaker, National Conference on ‘Social Work Approaches Towards Climate Change & Disaster Management’ organized by Department of Social Work, Kodaikanal Christian College (Affiliated to MKU), Kodaikanal, on 19th September 2014
- Chairperson, National conference on ‘Women and Mental Health: A Psychosocial Perspective, B.S. Abdur Rahman University, Chennai, 18th February 2016.
- Chairperson, National Conference on ‘Surrogacy in India: Issues, Challenges and Implication’, funded by United Board for Christian Higher Education in Asia (UBCHEA), organized by Madras Christian College, 8-9 September 2016.
- Resource person on , ‘Excellence Building Initiatives in Higher Education’, in National Conference on Excellence in Higher Education organized by The Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC), Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed College for Women, Chennai, 04th February 2017
- Member, organizing committee, International Conference on Asian Christian Faculty Fellowship, held at Madras Christian College, Tambaram, Chennai, November 2004
- Resource person in the Workshop on Integrating Service-Learning into the Curriculum, organized by the Asian Christian Higher Education Institute of UBCHEA, Hong Kong, 22 March – 3 April 2005
- Member, Technical Committee & Chairperson for session on ‘How Safe is the Joint Family?’, at the International Seminar on Child Rights organized by Montfort Community Development Society Chennai & Cardinal Leger Foundation, Canada, 29, 30 November & 1 December 2006
- Resource person and Valedictory Address, International workshop on ‘International Social Work Practice: Trends in cross-cultural social work practice’ organized by the Centre for International Social Work, Department of Social Work, MCC, 8 September 2009
- Organizing Secretary, United Board for Higher Education in Asia funded Asian workshop on Environment Service-Learning, organized at MCC, 1 – 3 August 2012
- Participatory workshop on ‘Going Places: Facilitating good practice in International social work student exchange in Australia and the Asia Pacific’, organized by De Paul Institute of Science and Technology, Kerala in collaboration with James Cook University, Australia, 26th November 2016.
- Inaugural Address at the International Conference on ‘Well-Being of Children, Youth and Adults: A Global Social Work Perspective’, organized by Bishop Heber College, Trichy, 20th January 2017
RECOGNITION/SPECIAL POSITIONS HELD:
- Member, Rural Development Committee, YWCA of Madras, 1998
- Senior Friend, Student Christian Movement (SCM), North Tamil Nadu Region – 1999-2000
- Subject Expert nominated by the Vice-Chancellor, University of Madras to serve on the Selection Committee for the post of Lecture in Social Work, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 2001
- Member of the Board of Studies in Social Work, Stella Maris College, Chennai (College Academic Council Nominee), period of two years, 2001 -2002 & 2003
- Special Invitee, Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras (2001-2002)
- Member, Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras, 2003 – 2006
- Member, Institutional Animal Ethics Committee, Madras Christian College, 2004
- Member, Research Advisory Committee, OXFAM supported research on ‘Understanding Gender Mainstreaming Strategies by Selected NGO’s in Tsunami Rehabilitation in Tamil Nadu, India”, 2005 -2006
- University Nominee for Board of Studies in Social Work, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, 2004-05 & 2005-06
- Member, Board of Studies in Social Work, Dr. G. R. Damodaran College of Science (affiliate to the Bharathiar University), Coimbatore, academic year 2004-2006
- Special Editor, Journal of School Social Work special issue on ‘Human Rights & Education’, November 2007
- Member, Inspection Committee, University of Madras, for granting provisional affiliation for BSW degree, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, August 2008
- Subject Expert approved by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Madras for the staff selection committee of the Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 2008
- Member, Ethics committee for research, Banyan Academy of Leadership in Mental Health (BALM) IN COLLABORATION WITH University College London – 2010
- Member, Committee of Concerned Citizens of People’s Watch, Madurai, 2010 onwards
- Acknowledgement of support and contribution as co-investigator of research team of the WHO funded research on ‘Eco-bio-social determinants of dengue vector breeding: a multicountry study in urban and periurban Asia’ in the paper published in the Bulletin of the World Health Organization, Volume 88, Number 3, March 2010, 161-240 (Special these: communicable diseases in south-east Asia)
- Subject Expert in Social Work, Curriculum Review Committee, Martin Luther Christian University, Meghalaya, India, 17 May 2010
- Subject Expert in Social Work approved by the Vice-Chancellor, University of Madras, for the selection of Lecturers in Social Work, Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, Chennai, 2010
- Subject Expert in Social Work approved by the Vice-Chancellor, University of Madras, for the selection of Lecturers in Social Work, Hindustan College of Arts & Science, 2010
- Member, Delegation from MCC invited by Liverpool Hope University, UK, to visit the university to strengthen international partnership, November 2010
- Member, Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras, 1-9-2010 to 31-8-2013
- Subject Expert, Board of Studies in Social Work, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 2010-12
- Subject Expert approved by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Madras for the staff selection committee of the Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 30th April 2013
- Member, Medical Board, Christian Missions Charitable Trust, 2013 onwards
- Vice-Chancellor Nominee, University of Madras for the staff selection committee of the Hindustan College of Arts & Science, Padur, Chennai, 31st July 2014
- Subject Expert approved by the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Madras for the staff selection committee of the Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 26th April 2014
- Chairperson, Institutional Review Board of C-SHaRP, Centre for Sexuality and Health Research and Policy, Chennai, 2014 onwards
- Panelist, Action-Aid, Selection Committee for Programme Officer, Chennai Regional Office, 23 January 2015
- Member, Integrated Board on Social Sciences & Humanities, Tamil Nadu State Council for Higher Education, Chennai, 2015
- Member, Institute Ethics Committee, Tagore Dental College & Hospital, Chennai, 2015 onwards
- Member, Academic Audit Committee, Department of Social Work, Loyola College, Chennai, 4th August 2015
- Member, Academic Audit Committee, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 2016.
- Subject Expert, Board of Studies, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 03rd February 2016
- Member, Inspection Committee for started M.Phil, appointed by the University of Madras, Patrician College of Arts & Science, Chennai, May 2016.
- Member, Inspection Committee appointed by the University of Madras, for grant of provisional affiliation for MSW degree, Christ Arts & Science College, Chennai, September 2016.
- Member, Inspection Committee appointed by the University of Madras, for continuation of provisional affiliation for MSW degree, Soka Ikeda College of Arts & Science, Chennai, May 2016.
- Member, Academic Audit Committee, Department of Social Work, Patrician College, Chennai, 6th October 2016
- Member, Pre-Scientific Advisory Committee of National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT) - ICMR, to review research proposals, October 2016 onwards
- University Nominee, Member of the Selection Committee for staff recruitment, St. Josephs College (Arts & Science), Kovur, Chennai, 10th January 2017.
- Subject Expert, Board of Studies, Madras School of Social Work, Chennai, 6th February 2017
- Expert Member, Core Committee, Adolescent Resource Centre Project, Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development, Sriperumbudur & Unicef, March – December 2017.
- Member, Reconstituted Board of Studies in Social Work, University of Madras, 01-08-2017 to 31-07-2020
REVIEWER FOR INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS:
- Reviewer, for the Journal of Education, Hong Kong Teachers Association – New Horizons in Education Volume 57 Number 3 (Special Issue) December 2009
- Reviewer, for the Journal of Education, Hong Kong Teachers Association – New Horizons in Education, Volume.59, Issue No.3, December 2011
- Reviewer for the International Social Work Journal, from 2013-till date
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL BODIES:
- Life Membership (No. 335), Indian Society of Professional Social Work, Bangalore
- Board of Trustee, Restless Development, India, 2014 onwards
- Member, Zonal Committee of South Zone, Church’s Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA), 2015-19
- Member of Society & Executive Committee Member, Help the Child, 2015 onwards
- Member, Pre-Scientific Advisory Committee of National Institute for Research in Tuberculosis (NIRT), approved by ICMR, from 2016 onwards.
INVOLVEMENT IN INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMMES
Centre for International Social Work, MCC
- Initiated the starting of the Centre for International Social Work, MCC, which was opened in the presence of the President of India – Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, 2007.
- Organized the First International Partners Meet of the Centre for International Social Work from the 27 to 30 August, 2007.
- Organized the Fourth International Partners Meet of the Centre for International Social Work on 12th June 2010 at the 2010 Joint World Conference On Social Work & Social Development: The Agenda, 10th – 14th June, 2010 - Hong Kong, China.
- President, Executive Committee, Centre for International Social Work, Department of Social Work, Madras Christian College.
- Responsible for Initiating the following international MOU’s:
- University of South Australia, School of Social Work & Social Policy
- Flinders University, South Australia
- Thompson Rivers University, School of Social Work, Canada
- Saxion University, School of Social Work, Netherlands
- Mediant Mental Health Center, Netherlands
- Chang Jung Christian University, Taiwan
- Asia University, Taiwan
- Appalachian State University, USA
- University of Michigan, USA
Resource person/supervisor/coordinator for the following international programmes:
- tudy Abroad Programme, University of Florida, USA
- Social Work Students, Brethren Colleges Abroad, USA
- Study Abroad Programme, Appalachian State University, USA
- J Term Programme, Elmhurst College, USA
- Semester in India Programme, Davidson’s College, USA
- Service-Learning Programme, Maryville University, USA
- Social Work, Field School Programme, Bridge Waters State College, USA
- Service-Learning Programme, Chang Jung Christian University & Asia University, Taiwan
- Social Work Internship, University of Amsterdam
- Social Work Internship, Saxion University, Netherlands
- Internship programme, University of Hawaii
- Social Work Internship, University of South Australia
- Interns from the Public Health & Social Work, Flinders University, South Australia
- Social Work Internship, Thompson Rivers University, Canada
- Payap University, Chang Mai, Thailand, 21 – 24 November 2002 (Conference Participation) & 2004 (Conference Participation)
- Asian Christian Higher Education Institute of UBCHEA, Hong Kong, 22 March – 3 April 2005 (Resource Person)
- Bangkok, Thailand, 9 - 12 May, 2006 & 11 - 15 June, 2007(WHO Research Workshop)
- Lingnan University, Hong Kong, 31 May – 1 June 2007. (Paper Presentation)
- School of Social Work, University of South Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, 18 June - 5 July 2007 (Exchange Faculty)
- Fuzhou, P.R. China, 16 – 19 December 2007 (Paper Presentation)
- Chang Jung Christian University & Asia University, Taiwan, 18 – 25 November 2008 (Exchange Faculty)
- Visited Thompson Rivers University, Canada as co-investigator of the Post-Tsunami project, 28 February - 7 March 2009 & 14 – 21 November 2009 (Resource Person)
- Hong Kong, China - 2010 Joint World conference On Social Work & Social Development: The Agenda, 10th – 14th June, 2010 (Conference for Paper Presentation)
- Thompson Rivers University, Canada, co-investigator, research project, 22 – 24 October 2010, May 2011, October 2012
- Liverpool Hope University, UK, to strengthen international partnership, November 2010
- Soegijapranata Catholic University, Semerang, Indonesia, Key Note Speaker at the International Conference May 2013.
- Research team meeting for the project titled “Decolonizing Field Education – Coming Together: A Canadian and International approach” at the University of British Colombia, Vancouver, Canada, 6th-9th May 2014
- Melbourne & Adelaide, Australia, to attend conference and visit partner institutions (University of South Australia, Flinders University & Monash University), July 2014