MADRAS CHRISTIAN COLLEGE (Autonomous)
(2015 – 2016 onwards)
Semester: 2 No. of hours: 30
- To sensitize the students to the various social issues prevailing at the National and International level.
- To enable students to become proactive and responsible citizens
Education-Objectives and Challenges, Challenges faced in today’s Educational System. Academic Life-Its Relevance. Co-education and its Implications - Merits and Demerits.
Society – A Broad Definition of Society. Introduction to the Various Social Problems. About Sex Workers- Drug Addiction, Corruption, Crime, Dowry, Bonded Labour and Child issues, Beggary, Communal Harmony.
Social Reform and Movements - Transforming the Society, Social Reform in India and abroad. Contribution of the Social Reformers - Gandhi, EVR, Marx, Martin Luther King and Medha Patkar.
- Bioethics - Definition, Relevance and Scope, Present National Scenario.
- Mass Communication - Merits and Demerits, Impact on Family and Society, Cyber Media and Media Ethics.
- a) Population Explosion, Population Vs Development, Family Planning and Population Control.
- b) Health and Hygiene, Health for all, Civic Sense, Building Good Health.
- Resource Book for Value Education. Mani Jacob (E4d) Institute of Value Education, New Delhi, 2002.
- Peace and Value Education for Educational Institutions. Ed. By DBNI, NCERT, SCERT. Dharma Bharathi National Institute of Peace and Value Education, Secundarabad, 2002.
- Values for Life. S. Ignacimuthu Better Yourself Boooks, Mumbai, 1999.
- Family Life Education: Value Education. M. M. Mascaronhas Center for Research, Education, Service and Training for Family Life Promotion, Bangalore, 1993.
- Neera Desai and Maithreyi: Women and Society in India.