Madras Christian College (Autonomous)
Value Education - I
(2015 – 2016 onwards)
Semester: 1 No. of hours: 30
Objectives: a) To bring awareness among students on various ethical issues prevailing in our society.
b) To enable students to become responsible human beings with values.
Value Education- Values- Components- Social Ethics- Definition and Importance- Issues of Bias and Neutrality in evolving ethical principles- Building up ethics/values in students- building up of character.
Individuals and Society- Role of individuals in society- Role of ethics in individuals, family, community and society- Role of Marriage, love, sex and divorce- role of religion in ethic -ethical issues in Childcare.
Politics and Ethics- Constitution- Justice, Equality, Freedom and Human Dignity- Govt. Institutions concerning ethics- NGOs concerning ethics- Human Rights (Men, Women and Child rights) – Issues of Caste, Class, Religion and Politics- National Integration.
Economics and Ethics- Economic development and ethics- Professional ethics- Work ethics- Business ethics- Ethical dilemmas among youth in the context of changing economic scenario- Economic crimes- Bribery, Corruption, Immorality etc.- Priorities of Indian Economy- Poverty, Unemployment, Illiteracy and Inequality.
Role of Globalization in changing value systems- Wars : Nuclear, Chemical and Biological warfare- Terrorism- Racism and Ethnic unrest/conflicts- Environmental Degradation- Refugee crisis- Problems of Migration- Role of Science and Technology- Issues of Cloning etc.
- ‘Value Education’, By Dr.Shiva and Dr. Balaji Loganathan, Sree Gomathi Publications, Chennai, 2011.
- ‘Peace and Value Education’, By Babu Muthuja and R. Usharani, Centrum Press, New Delhi, 2009.
- ‘Value Based Management’, By S.Srinivasan, Jaico Books, Mumbai, 2005.
- ‘Paths to a New Value Education’, By Herve Morisette, Indian Catehetical Association, Bangalore, 2001.
- ‘ A Textbook on Professional Ethics and Human Values’, By R.S. Naagarazan, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi, 2006.
- ‘Ecology and Human Well Being’, By Pushpam Kumar and B. Sudhakara Reddy, Sage Publications, New Delhi,2007.