Madras Christian College (Autonomous)
Value Education - II
(2015 – 2016 onwards)
Semester: 2 No. of hours: 30
Objectives: (1) To sensitize students on various gender issues
(2) To bring about value change.
Unit I :
Scope of Gender Studies – Basic concepts - Sex and Sexuality , Gender, Patriarchy, Feminity, Masculinity, Gender roles and Gender Stereo types – Historical prospective - Understanding Feminisms.
Unit II :
Gender and Society : Gender discrimination within Caste structure – Family and marriage - Transgenders.
Human Rights Violation and Protection : Female Foeticide – Sexual Harassment – Immoral Traffic – Dowry – Child marriage – Domestic Violence.
Unit III :
Gender and Religion : Gender in Christianity , Islam & Hinduism.
Gender and Health : Occupational health – Psychological health – Reproductive health
Gender and Labour : Wage discrimination – Labour discrimination – Government policies – NGOs – SHGs.
Gender and Education : Education and Employment – Factors affecting women’s education and employment – Rural and urban divide in education system.
Unit V :
Gender Empowerment : Access - Equality – Equity – Decision making.
Gender and Globalisation: Liberalization and globalisation and its impact on women
- ‘Understanding Women’s Studies’ – Poonache, Veena. (1999)
- Feminist Thoughts : A more comprehensive introduction by Rosemarie Tong,Westview Printers, August 2008.
- Female Foeticide : Myth & Reality, Anurag Agarwal
- Feminist Theory : A Reader, by Kolmer, Wendy and Bartkowski, Frances and Kolmar, Wendy.K Westview Printers, August (2009).
- Livehood and gender by Sumi Krishna, SAGE Publication, 1st edition 2004.
- Transgender studies reader: Taylor and Francis 2006., Edited by Susan Strycker and Stephen Whittle.
- The Masculinity studies reader: Edited by Rachel adams and David Savran , Black well publishers 2002
- Women & Empowerment by Singh D.P and Singh Manjit (ed.) 2005.
- Grass Root NGO’s by women for women by Femina Handy, Suzanne Feeney, Bhagyashree Ranade, SAGE publishers 4th edition 2008.
- Gender Matters edited by Florence John, Semmoodhai Pathippagam , 2013.